Friday, April 14, 2006


After Hurricane Katrina ravaged Louisiana and Mississippi there was only one uplifting story from that entire disaster. It was the heroic story of a young New Orleans resident, a then, 20 year-old, Jabar Gibson. Gibson had to escape the rising floodwaters and saw a huge school district parking lot filled with what later became destroyed buses.

Gibson, a quick-witted lad took it upon himself to “borrow” a school bus, fill it with as many people he could and get them all safely to the Houston Astrodome. Necessity made use of the bus a lawful act even though he had no permission to do that. Gibson reacted swiftly, decisively and saved those lucky enough to find their way on the renegade bus.

Gibson seemed to do what FEMA, the state and local governments could not do. Gibson exercised leadership, took decisive action and brought needed and quick relief to as many as 70 victims of that disaster.

I knew his story was suitable for a movie of the week. I immediately went on a mission to find Gibson, get him to L.A. and work out a movie deal. With the help of someone in Houston I was able to accomplish that mission.

The courts record systems in Louisiana were down and my ability to do a background examination was hampered. Gibson did confess a stolen car, joy riding conviction. I did not expect he’d be a saint since he came from poverty and perhaps the most depressed school district in America.

Interest in making a film about Gibson came from Kelsey Grammer, Mike Farrell and Spike Lee. That all ended when Gibson, who had returned to New Orleans got himself arrested with drugs after a police chase on November 25th. Now nobody wanted Gibson’s image for more than a police booking photo. The hope for the financial rewards and a new life for Gibson as a result of a film were for all practical purposes ended.

Gibson got out of jail on bail pending that prosecution and then got himself in yet another jam on January 7th, when he was again arrested carrying 1.7 grams of cocaine, an undisclosed amount of heroin and a Tarus .357-caliber revolver by New Orleans narcotics detectives and federal agents.

Thursday a federal grand indicted Gibson for cocaine and heroin trafficking and possession of a gun while dealing drugs. Gibson made it big, but not in the way I’d hoped.

An Update:
On April 1, 2008 Gibson was released from federal prison. Let's hope he can behave himself and somehow salvage his life as an ex-convict and convicted felon.

Yet another update:
This worthless scumbag got himself in the jackpot again with the feds. Guns and crack netted this loser lots of years when he was sentenced yet again! So long asshole!

OCTOBER 27, 2010
APPEARANCES: Edward J. Rivera, Asst. U. S. Attorney
Valerie Jusselin, Counsel for Defendant
Jabar Gibson, Defendant
Case called; all present and ready.
Deft sentenced to the custody of the Bureau of Prisons for 120 months as to each of Counts
1 and 3 of the Indictment to run concurrently with each other and concurrently with the
sentences imposed in docket nos. 06cr114 and 05cr323, and 60 months as to Count 2 of the
indictment to be served consecutively to Counts 1 & 3.
Upon release from imprisonment, defendant shall be placed on supervised release for a term
of 8 years as to Count 1 and 3 years as to each of counts 2 and 3, all to be served
See J & C for special conditions, etc.
Deft remanded to U. S. Marshal.
Court adjourned.


Anonymous said...

What a sad story and complete waste.

I can clearly identify with the tough life, though. My Uncle (Air Force-Korea) tried molesting me since I was 3 up until the time I was 12. He thought he would try to go all the way at that age one weekend. The only person I told about it when I was 10 was my best friend who later became a police officer.

It was so bad at home, that I tried to stay away... creeping down the sidewalk, making sure the lights were out. My mom would drink that cheap Gallo wine, sometimes Muskatell and beat on me. One time my friend, in Police Cadets sat outside in his car watching, after he dropped me, and ran in and lifted me out of there.

My parents once locked the fridge and turned off the water when I refused to turn over all my paychecks to them (I just turned 17). I became very sick and my parents refused to take me to the hospital. My friend's grandma rushed me and I was very very ill. She saved my life.

I made plenty of mistakes being on my own at 17 but learned the lesson not to repeat them. Also, I have done a lot of things I'm proud of, put myself through college and racked up a HUGE student loan.

The moral of the story is: If you're gonna do somethign really dumb, make a wrong a right and don't do it again. I have had to fight throughout my life for many things. (oh yes, I had started writing an autobiography at the urging of many people who know my story)

Anonymous said...

What a truly sad story,,makes me remember the day I put a suit on one of the red headed monkeys at work. Never put a suit on an animal.

Anonymous said...

Even if the effort failed, and he trully has earned his indictment,
i am glad he had a chance for a reward for his initiative..